The Golden Room podcast #1
An Ecobardic Showcase (pt 1)
Welcome to The Golden Room podcast – a celebration of poetry, storytelling, music, song, conversation, and creative fellowship.
Created and hosted by writer, poet, and storyteller Kevan Manwaring, the plan is to release a new episode on the 3rd Sunday of the month – with this double launch on the Autumn Equinox being the exception! Roughly an hour long, each episode offers an immersive and relaxing medley of contributions – ideal to commute to, cook to, or sit back and unwind to: however you listen you are most welcome into The Golden Room.
The first two episodes offer a chance to eavesdrop upon An Ecobardic Showcase, a special evening which took place in Stroud, Gloucestershire, on 17th August, 2019. It was a double-celebration of Kevan Manwaring’s 50th and his doctorate. Proceeds went to Tree Aid – a worthy cause which you can still donate too, here:
The evening was excellently MCed by the inimitable Anthony Nanson. His links and much of the convivial atmosphere is edited out, to tidy up the raw recording (expertly done by Chantelle Smith; with help from Brendan Georgeson on PA, and thanks to Simon Fairbourn for loan of the recording device), but we hope you still get some sense of the atmosphere. Finally, many thanks to BAFTA Crew composer Rosemary Duxbury, for kindly allowing use of her sublime track, ‘Reverie’. Check out my interview and review of her latest release, ‘Thread of Gold’, after listening to the show.
LISTEN TO THE GOLDEN ROOM PODCAST #01 HERE
- [00:00] Intro: Kevan Manwaring
- [00:47] Reverie: Rosemary Duxbury (Catherine Musker, viola & Patricia Siffert, piano)/[02:15] The Golden Room by Wilfrid Gibson, read by Kevan Manwaring
- [07:59] Welcome: a song by Chantelle Smith
- [08:22] Fifty: a poem by Kevan Manwaring
- [10:46] Mist-covered Mountains: a song by Chantelle Smith
- [13:20] The Dog: a story by Wayland the Skald
- [21:21] A Valentine for New Albion: a poem by Jeff Cloves
- [29:18] Overheard at Ascot; What the I Says: poems by Gabriel Bradford Millar (with Anthony Nanson)
- [32:35] Pan at My Window: a poem by Richard Austin
- [34:44] Planet Blues: a song by Sara Vian
- [37:51] Therapy: a poem by Brendan the Pop Poet
- [40:22] The Earth, She Moves Within: a poem by Joziat Khimba
- [45:45] The Butterfly Bishop: story by Kirsty Hartsiotis
- [55:21] Claw-hammer: Banjo by Scott Freer
- [59:10] Outro: by Kevan Manwaring/Reverie – reprise.
NEXT: THE GOLDEN ROOM EPISODE #2 An Ecobardic Showcase pt 2 – available from 22nd September.
Look out for episode #3: 20th October – An Extinction Cabaret special!